Sunday, January 25, 2009

Forensics - Has Anyone Unknown To You Handled Or Touched This Record?

(Magic Bullet, 2003)

I acquired this record as a promo about five years ago, during the period in which I was trying to scare up some cash by writing about music (HA!). Can’t say that I have much nostalgia for those poverty-stricken days of terrible freebies and faked enthusiasm, but this Forensics single, while only getting played perhaps twice over the years, is at least OK enough to have avoided both the garbage can and the resale shop. “Boat Day at the Marina” is heavy and lively aggresso-chug that moves from near-boogie to fist-pump to introspective head-bob to full-on roar, while the B-side is reasonably violent whatever-wave metal with a dollop of mathiness. It’s pissed, it’s taut, it does what it needs to do. Sure, I don’t expect I’ll be digging this record out again anytime soon, but I’ll betcha muscular genre-lunks worldwide could get behind the _____ these cats are ______ing. And maybe that’s a line you’d want to be in?

1 comment:

Donald Brown said...

"the period in which I was trying to scare up some cash by writing about music (HA!)"

Maybe you could hire yourself out to review other people's music collections?